Thursday, January 21, 2010

Huck Finn

My opinions about the book are not as black and white as the critics we have read. I don't feel that the book itself is inherently racist, simply written about racist people in a racist time. As to whether it should be taught in schools, I don't think it should be straight out banned nor should it be required reading. It is not such an incredible work that everyone must read it. When the problems caused by the book outweigh its merit, it isn't really worth the trouble. However, in environments where it can be taught appropriately and does not cause tensions, there is no reason it should not be read. I plan to cite Jane Smiley to repute a few of her overstretched claims, and also T.S. Elliot and Lionel Trilling to counter some of their blind worship of the novel. I agree with much of Leo Marx's argument, and will use him to set up ideas. Within the book, I would like to look at both those passages that are celebrated as great anti-racist writing and those condemned as shamefully prejudiced. The Culture Shock movie will provide examples for when the book should be taught and when its just not worth it. Is this too wishy-washy a stance to take?

5 comments:

  1. I definately agree with you, that it is hard to take such a well-defined stance regarding the novel's racial qualities. However, I think you may be relying too much on the critics' arguments. Maybe you can use particular phrases from Smiley, Eliot, Trilling, and Marx to build upon, or discredit in the process of expressing your own thoughts and opinions regarding Huck Finn. Also I find it interesting that you think the novel should only be taught in classrooms where there would be no conflict. Wouldn't heightened controversy yield a more accurate analysis of the novel's racist or anti-racist intentions? I hope this helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both you and Juliette. I think that is novel is one that does not have a high enough merit to REQUIRE it to be read it is also one that can lead to healthy controvery. While you are correct in saying the context of the classroom must be looked into, I think that also as long as the teacher has an open mind and they are willing to control a debate it could lead to interesting conversations. I would say look into more aspects from the book and what you think in your own mind also rather than just going off of critics. Maybe you could find a critic that refutes your stance and maybe although it is hard, you need to find one position, and then use that to make your argument stronger. I don't know if that helps at all....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your open minded stance on the novel, you have deffanitly thought a lot about both sides of the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the right idea, at least about the controversy of it being taught. There is definitely the right place and the right time for it to be taught. I think you should identify what its "merits" are, and what the cost of these are in school. I believe controversy is good, but only to a certain level. For example, where crazy moms get involved. Also, you might want to develop a clearer stance in your paper on whether it is racist on not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma,

    It appears that you are still very ambivalent about the book (which is understandable) and so I'm not sure what advice I can offer you in terms of developing your argument (given that you don't really have one yet). Some of your peers may be right in suggesting that, before you let yourself be unduly swayed by one or more of the critics we've read, you should go back to the novel and figure out what you yourself think about it. Which scenes do recommend the book (as a piece of literature) and which suggest that it's not "such" a great book? Again, you need to formulate your own opinion of the novel before you can begin to wade into the controversy surrounding it. Let me know on Monday if there's anything I can do to help you carve out your own stance.

    ReplyDelete