Friday, January 22, 2010

Racist? Nonracist? Where is the line?


How is it that a book such as Huckleberry Finn can create such a controversy that people would move to have it banned from high school curriculum? Can a book represent both racism and anti racism at the same time? At this time period it is true that the word ‘nigger’ was the common term for a person of color. So does using this word in a realistic novel automatically make the novel racist? And can’t one argue that Huck is a person who can look past the stereotype given to African Americans during this time in age? Now is this because he no longer is bound by society, or merely the fact that he has come to the realization that Jim is a human being? It seems to me that the growth that Huckleberry goes through should be taught to children of all ages. It is a necessity to learn from our past history so that we don’t repeat it. On the other hand I can see that this book could be offensive to any that do not separate what is said and what is implied. I feel as though I have a biased when it comes to this book, as I am not African American, I cannot truly feel as they feel they read this book. On the other hand if the term did not mean anything in today’s time period I would be surprised to find as much controversy as they is circling this book. The real question that comes to mind is what restrictions can be put on realism? Is it not the point of realism to make things as realistic as possible? I can see that many people have elevated this book to the top of American literature, all the while there have been others trying to dispense of this book. In order for Huck to undergo his emotional growth there has to be an aspect of racism involved within the novel. Would it make sense to write a book that is suppose to be realistic in this time period without involving the aspect of racism.

I feel as though this book should be taught in high school merely for the racial aspect presented. It is important to understand others and our own culture. I also believe that if this book it taught that the teacher must teach it in a way that doesn't make anyone feel less like a human. It needs to be addressed in a critical view point, one that is separated from the negative aspect and more involved in what the overall message.

People I plan on quoting-
Jane Smiley- I disagree with her point of view on many aspects of the novel Huckleberry Finn and feel as though she will help further my own personal point of view.
T.S. Eliot- He made the novel to be a great work of American Literature and is very apparent in his feelings that this is a anti racist novel.
"Born to Trouble"- James Miller made an incredible point in the beginning of the movie about racism and how it comes about. I want to incorporate this into my paper to prove that racism and anti racism depends on the person.
Mark Twain- The scene when Huck humbles himself to a nigger.
Leo Marx- His point of view on the ending of the novel.

1 comment:

  1. "It seems to me that the growth that Huckleberry goes through should be taught to children of all ages. It is a necessity to learn from our past history so that we don’t repeat it._

    Athena, I think that the quotation above resides at the heart of your essay (which you seem to have already put a lot of thought into--good!).

    You should probably review the essay by Peaches Henry (it's in the packet) as her argument is in many ways similar to yours. Again, I think your central point that the novel's inherent racism (given the time period and setting) is actually necessary--for without it, what would Huck have to transcend, and how could the novel be presented as an example of moral growth and racial enlightenment?).

    Again, I think this is a good start. I look forward to seeing how you develop this argument!

    ReplyDelete