Friday, March 5, 2010

Agua

For my essay, I’m going to write about the privatization of water. Initially I was going to write about the privatization of water access and property because of my relationship with water access and kayaking. However, my subject has evolved, I am now looking at the larger issue. Mainly focusing on the question, Is water a human right or a commodity? I don’t want to ending up writing a book about this subject, which I sure there already are and could do. I think it’d be easier to look at issues closer to home. Issues such as piping water to Denver from the front range and cities like Phoenix, L.A., and Las Vegas using water from the Colorado River to water their lawns in the middle of the day. There is plenty of water in the world, most of Earth is covered with it. Humans just need to answer the question, is there enough water, fresh accessible water, for us to shower three times a day? Two times? Even once? Until we figure out what our needs are we will be subject to the privatization of water, people selling us water that they hardly have a right too. Pressures on water resources are only going to be increasing making the solution more difficult. In essence, I’ll be arguing that the privatization of water is wrong, but the problem is larger than the corporations.

1 comment:

  1. Victor,

    This has the makings of a great essay, and your central question--Is water a human right or a commodity?--is an excellent one. Of course, as you note, the idea of mandating conservation is an interesting (and related) one, too. Because this issues is such a broad one (with both sides having so many potential ramifications), it might help if, initially, at least, you look at your essay as more informative than persuasive: let your reader know just what is at stake in this issue. Then, as you do a little more research, you can probably decide which side you come down on (though again, this is a broad and complex subject).

    Good luck with this. I'm confident both you AND your reader will wind up much more informed.

    ReplyDelete