Wednesday, March 10, 2010

This one's actually from KATIE

It took me a while to figure this out. I didn’t actually decide what I wanted to write about until my Mother came home after some school meeting complaining about how lenient Telluride High School is when it comes to drugs, alcohol and other illegal things happening outside of school. This made me think that I totally agree with her. How is it that our coaches allow students who so clearly use drugs and alcohol over the weekends to play sports? Why not drug test kids before they are allowed to be on a team? Whether its basketball, soccer, track, volleyball, they should not be allowed to play when they are abusing drug use. And we shouldn’t stop there. I think that if you are caught with drugs at school, or get in trouble with the law, you should not be able to participate in any school activity such as sports, student council, EPICS, or any other school event or club. It’s stupid to reward kids that don’t behave and it definitely isn’t good to have them as our student’s role models. Our School Board should acknowledge this and have some kind of punishment for it. Maybe get taken away from your club for a certain amount of time, or until your Juvenile Diversion is over. A kid shouldn’t be allowed to play a sport until they are clean. Now lets be real here, we all know that at Telluride High School the sports would suck until kids got their acts together but if it’s really important to them and they want to lead this school than we wouldn’t be asking much.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    I think that drug testing in schools is an excellent topic (and a pretty controversial one--always a good thing). Obviously, the strongest argument you'll face against your position is the idea that such testing is an invasion of privacy, but this is something you could easily argue against. I'm glad you've chosen this topic, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete