Sunday, March 7, 2010

No PINK!!!

This essay is a challenge for me because I have to find the right way to convince as many people as possible that pink should be banned from society. It's usually a color that everybody likes but I hate it. I really do.
I worked for about an hour on making a pros and cons list: I found seven cons and only one pros which should make you believe me when I say that this essay is going to be really hard.
The first reason why I don't like pink is because everybody likes it and I don't like being part of the crowd...I like being different.
Second reason why is because pink is automatically associated with the female "gender" and I don't like when things are given for granted especially since NOT every girl likes this color.
Third reason why (and it's going to sound really stupid) is because it reminds me of Barbies which I really don't like. In fact I used to play with "little cars and trucks" when I was little.
Fourth, I feel like I know what to expect from people wearing pink (this is a huge generalization so no offense to anyone): if I see a woman with her nails painted pink I know she's obssessed with clothes, make-up, that's she spends/waists a lot of money and that she think she's the most beautiful "creature" on the planet.
I kind of like this color only in one case: when it's worn by gay men. If you see a man wearing a pink sweater, what do you think at first? ...exactly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay but our society is not completely open-minded yet so being gay is still really hard. That's why I approve of every way and means that can help gay men to show who they really are.
I think this essay could be very interesting and I hope to be able to develop a good enough argument in order to make it interesting for as many more people as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Mavy,

    Thanks for getting this posted.

    I agree that this essay will not only be interesting, but also very fun (both to write and to read). Keep it light, to go with your ostensibly lighthearted topic (but keep in mind that some of the issues you've touched on--gender stereotypes, the pleasures of nonconformity, etc.--are actually pretty serious). Again, I think this could be a potentially terrific essay, and I look forward to reading your first draft!

    ReplyDelete