Friday, April 2, 2010

Mortality

Although I really love how the novel is written, initially I felt that Fight Club was another trashy novel that didn’t really make a whole lot of sense. However, as I have come to read more and more I’m beginning to understanding the characters role play and the general themes of the book. I found it to be quite a twist that Tyler is in fact the narrator. Once learning this, the previous readings of the book seemed to make more sense to me. Fight Club has opened a new spectrum of death, mortality and humans vs. the “animal”. I found it especially interesting when Tyler speaks of death and pain in chapter nine. Pain and death are a byproduct of our mortality (something Tyler and the narrator argue about) “Think about the animals used in product testing. Think about the monkey shot into space. Without their death, their pain, without their sacrifice, we would have nothing.” The quote seems almost contradictory to the rest of the characters feelings in the book. Death is the only way of escape used by those who have horrible illnesses and diseases, but Tyler continues to escape his mortality by forcing his mind into a different world, one filled with no pain.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the narrative twist is rewarding (and does salvage much of the read); but I think you're right to worry that too much in the novel seems contradictory. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts over break.

    ReplyDelete