Friday, April 2, 2010

Nihilism vs Existentialism

I find Fight Club to be quite entertaining. It's frenetic, disjunctive, and seems incredibly random at times, a perfect read after the coherency of The Plague. That being said, I have not found Fight Club to be as good as Camus, yet.

The reason I started to thoroughly enjoy The Plague was it's tone and characters. I find it difficult to get involved in characters, even ones as intriguing as Tyler, with the disjunctive style and frenetic pacing. Now granted, this is a fun read with it's humor ("I want you to hit me as hard as you can") and has some really intriguing scenes (the beach scene contains one of my new favorite quotes of all time, something to the effect of "A single moment of perfection is worth the hours of work put into it") but at the pace it's going, it doesn't seem to be on the same grounds as Camus' book.

I could be wrong, maybe I'll find it to be my favorite book ever, we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I like your succinct (and, I think, accurate) comparison of the two books at the outset. Interested in hearing what you think once you've finished.

    ReplyDelete