Friday, November 13, 2009

Best Puzzle Ever

"The Handmaid's Tale" is not a title that would hook me if I saw if on a Barnes and Noble shelf. All I can say is that I'm glad it was assigned to me, not chosen by my own free will. What I love about this book is the style. I feel as if it is one big jigsaw puzzle that I am building, but I am only given a few pieces at a time. every piece I recieve makes me want to complete the puzzle even more, and I becomes more and more fun. Atwood has done such an excellent job unfolding the mysteries in the book that every time a new revelation is afforded the reader I feel truly blessed, and am very thankful. I do not yet know what the puzzle will end up being of, but the process of building it has been very enjoyable for me. I like how in this book a question that pops into your head is usually not the result of your own poor reading, for it is planted purposely and will be answered later on. Alcott has found the wonderful balance between ignoring her reader and giving them her undivided attention to make the book as fun as possible, and the result is a terrific book.

1 comment: