Friday, November 13, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale blog

I have a love/hate relationship with this book. On one hand, it's a great book! It's so exciting and interesting; it really draws you in and makes you want to read more. However, the feminist in me hates this book. Everytime I open this book to read I am just baffled at how women are treated in this society. After a short while of reading the book, it began to remind me of WWII. These handmaids are so unappreciated and, in a way, tortured for nothing, much like the Jews were during the Holocaust. While studying the Holocaust back in sophomore year, I was infuriated by what I heard and what I read, thinking of how those innocent people were treated; it inspired a violent reaction in me. I just wanted to yell to all of the people in the concentration camps "STAND UP! you don't have to let them treat you like this!" but after really thinking about it, I could see how the Jews reacted the way they did, and I understand why there was never some kind of uprising. but I just don't understand how the handmaids can let themselves be put into a similar situation. I mean, obviously they're not in concentration camps being killed at random and starved and tortured, but they are certainly being abused. They have no rights. For the Jews' situaiton, I can understand; I mean, they were the scapegoats of the world, and the people imprisoning them thought they had no reason to keep them around. But the handmaids have the gift of life! They support and create what the Republic of Gilead will become! The entire world is depending on them! so why shouldn't they have more respect, or stand up and DEMAND more respect? I know, I know, they'll be tortured if they try and stand up. but that's when part of me is like "who cares?!? deal with the pain. it's worth it, if your pain can help the other women get more respect and you can eventually, in your own way, win." if i were a handmaid, i would see winning as not having a child. the whole society wants you to have a kid SOOO bad, and they'll do anything to get to that; they make you seem like you're nothing but a walking womb. so, my way of having power over them would be to not reproduce. i don't know, it just seems so strange to me that these women are so mistreated when pretty much the whole world is depending on them - it just makes no sense!!

1 comment:

  1. Meghan,

    I think the holocaust analogy is not an inappropriate one (Atwood herself--in that reference to Nazi collaborators having their heads shorn--has made the connection indirectly herself). But your question about why characters like Offred don't stand up is a good one (and one which I suspect Atwood is hoping her readers will pose). In a society in which most members area as powerless as these 'citizens' of Gilead are, however, just how does one stand up (and what happens to those, like Moira, who do rebel)?

    Good post. I'm anxious to learn what you think of the end of the novel.

    ReplyDelete