Friday, November 13, 2009

Handmaid's Tale

This is definitely my favorite book that we have read so far! I like the way it is told, the way it is written, and the overall story is very interesting. The thing that disturbs me the most about the new society they live in is the fact no one has any freedom whatsoever. To walk 5 blocks and not know if you could be shot, beaten, killed, or kidnapped is a terrifying thought. Also the colonies freak me out. Personally, I’m not sure if I’d rather be at the colonies or be a surrogate mother. I don’t know if going through what they go through is worth living. So far I don’t feel that any of this is accurate enough to sound like the “future.” I mean obviously we don’t live in a world like that. I feel like Atwood was extremely pessimistic when writing this book. I mean thank god we don’t live in that society. It seems as though no one is happy. Everyone just lives their lives faking who they are and scared to be themselves. No one is unique in such a society. The specific scenes that stuck in my head are definitely the ones with the Commander in his “office.” I like that they play Scrabble. To us it is so harmless, something we take advantage of, but to them it’s an escape. No reading or writing, ok let’s play Scrabble. I also like that he give her magazines and hand lotion. It shows us that the main character is not the only one who hates how she’s living. They use each other, in a sense, to escape from their shitty lives. Luckily so far I have not been too confused on what’s going on in the novel. I would like to know more about the society crashing and more about Luke and a few other things but hopefully I will obtain that information as I read on. At this point I feel so sorry for the main character that I REALLY want a happy ending. After all she’s been through I want her to find Luke and her baby and go back to how it was. I seriously doubt that will happen but I’m hoping it turns out good for her in the end. I have a lot of respect for her.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    Great post! I'm glad you're enjoying the novel, and I was impressed by the insight suggested by your observations--though I'm not sure I'd agree that the Commanders (who may be the only ones in this society who have some freedom) are nearly as bad off as Offred and her fellow handmaids. I hope you enjoy the end!

    ReplyDelete