Friday, November 13, 2009

Handmaid's Tale

Everything about the Republic of Gilead disturbs me. The freedom and power that every citizen once had has been thrown away as if it were useless. The people are controlled by the angels and the guardians and are forced, through fear, to foll the rules. This society seems so primitive in some aspects. Like if a women is pregnant and she breaks the rules the higher ups won't even hesitate to chop off an arm or a foot because she won't need that to give birth. Moira, to me, is a perfect example of normality. She is one of the few that attempts to escape in some way. Most of the women or people that can no longer, handle living in the Republic of gilead, find a way to kill themselves. But Moira takes action and attempts to escape. To me this is normal. When someone is encaged or trapped their first instinct is to escape. It is reasonable to stay because living in the Republic of Gilead is better than being killed for breaking the rules, but Moira seems more human than the others. Some of the others actually beleive what happening is right, and they follow every order and demand. They will rat out some for screwing up in the littlest way. Others will just follow along with it such as Offred, but what frightens me the most about this is that she doesn't feel hatred towards the people putting her through this terrible way of life. At one point in the book Offred says that she should hate the commander and the people in control but she doesn't. I haven't finished the book yet and I am hoping that Luke and Moira in some way will come back to help Offred. I also hope that she finds her daughter and somehow escapes. Even though this is what I hope, I can almost guarantee that this is not going to happen. As we saw in the Scarlet Letter things dont end happily. In childrens books things end happily and leave the reader with the satisfaction that everything worked out. In the real world and in most books things do not end this way. I believe that something horrible will happen and I will finish reading angry about the way that Margaret Atwood chose to end this novel.

1 comment:

  1. Meatloaf (who are you again? Remind me so that I can give you credit for this post!):

    I hope that the ending doesn't wind up making your too angry (in this case, we don't have the narrator handing us a rose to hang on to as some symbol of hope at the end of a dark and depressing tale; however, you might find something in the "Historical Notes" that winds up making you feel just as upset as Dimmesdale's cowardly confession/death there on the scaffold).

    Read on! And again, let me know who you are!

    ReplyDelete