Friday, November 13, 2009

GILEAD

Gilead started off as a mysterious place in the beginning of the book, but it really took a turn for the worse in my eyes. At first, this place just kept me thinking about what it looks like and how every day life is, then I realized how much of a hell it must be for all of those who live there. I don't understand why all the handmaids would be trying to escape. It seems like they are just getting used to and letting every one walk all over them. The Handmaids are told that they are lucky to be in this place and that they are safe. I cant believe that the Handmaids would even listen to all of that propaganda, they are living one of the worst lives ever. Gilead is simply just a huge concentration camp and every one is living a dull and horrible life. It is extremely disturbing how the Handmaids are really only useful for their uterus. They must feel like they are pretty much worth nothing when these commanders just come and knock them up and then peace. If I were living in Gilead I would be continuously trying to escape and if that didn't work out I would probably resort to just killing my self. Not only would it suck for all the handmaids in this so called Utopia, but for every one else who lives there. Life for the guards would suck probably just as much as the handmaids. They just have to do exactly what they are told and there is no time for any fun activities, or even any sexual activities, that sucks.

1 comment: