Friday, November 13, 2009

Restricted Women

Who is worse off, the wives or the handmaids? As Serena Joy and Offred's connection "grows" (if that's what you want to say it is doing) I feel as though both of their struggles become more visible, and they seem to be struggling with some of the same things. Both are obviously craving some sort of companion, in whatever form. I mean, who wouldn't be. Serena simply has her knitting, gardening, and her status of being a "wife." What is so special about that anymore? You can't even have babies! Offred, in her loneliness could do well for some company (other than the strange company of the commander). Called to Serena's side in the garden, Offred is shocked, but to have a conversation such as her conversations with Ofglen is refreshing in whatever form (though the nerves of fear are prickling her comfort of conversation). Serena is desperate. Desperate to have a baby. Parts of me ask why. Company? To say she has a child? To fit in among a new status of wives? Although, she doesn't seem like the very motherly type. Maybe in the end this doesn't matter, maybe she can have the right to be a mother just as any other woman, or wife. Because obviously, it is not among the right of every woman to have a child (not to mention the capability). In ways I was shocked that Serena suggested Offred get pregnant by someone else, by Nick. But then again, my ideas would go loopy if I were in her situation as well. Although a believer in the beginning (or so I have gathered) it appears that Serena may be falling from her pedestal of belief and into a place where all that matters is having that child. To get Offred out of the house? This could very well be. Her jealousy, though ironic, must be raging. Even though Offred claims her jealousy of the wives multiple times through out the book, I would find it easy for the wives to claim a similar jealousy. They have lost the fruit of life. No longer are they "precious natural resources", which might serve a negative connotation in some cases, but it also makes them simply not precious. Serena is no longer precious to the commander, offred has fallen into that ranks of connection and spirited gaiety, another reason for her to be jealous. The novel would be so shifted if it were from the point of view of a wife. Their raging existence that seems almost pointless. (I would say raging hormones, but without the ability to produce do these hormonal feelings still exist?) So I think I've come to the conclusion that the wives have are off worse. Even though Offred's life is none the best, she has routine, she has freedom in ways unlike the wives. They can do "whatever they want" but she has the freedom of excitement. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong because I guess Offred's life is on the line every month. So I say they both have it hard, both challneged by these new expectations of women, but restricted in this new society.

1 comment:

  1. Kenya,

    A very thoughtful post (thanks!). I'm not sure that I'd agree that Serena has it as badly as Offred does (if for no other reason than that Serena was clearly complicit in the fall of the U.S. and the establishment of Gilead). But you're right to point out that AL women are oppressed in this novel (and this may be one of Atwood's central points); and I really liked your provocative question regarding how the novel would read were it told from a wife's perspective (something you may wish to pursue!).

    ReplyDelete