Friday, November 13, 2009

How would you feel...?

Honestly, I feel like the most disturbing fact about the Republic of Gilead is the lack of women’s rights. It astonishes me and makes me feel sick reading of women who are practically treated like nothing more than property. The Handmaid’s do not have a voice in, or let alone any rights in their lives. I remember the author describing one of the Handmaid’s feelings towards her commander. The Handmaid’s commander came into her room (she being unaware) and wrongfully snooped around. It was the Handmaid’s room, not the commander’s and perhaps the only tiny amount of privacy or “right” the Handmaid had at all. It also disgusts me that society accepts this sect as a holy practice of the Bible and morals in general. I can’t imagine living as the women do in the book. I would go insane. Like many of the Handmaid’s, the thought and attempt of escape would be on my mind always. As well, I can understand why so many of the Handmaid’s have tried to commit suicide. Can you image not being able to be your own person, or express your self?

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    Yes, while some might label this novel as 'anti-Christian' (given that Gilead is ostensibly rooted in a warped reading of the Bible), I think you're right to point out that the real object of Atwood's ire may be the men who would allow for this sort of treatment of women. In the end, the book may be more 'anti-male' than anything else.

    I'm anxious to hear what you think of the ending!

    ReplyDelete