Friday, October 30, 2009

The love hate relationship

What is love without hate? What is happiness without sadness? Can one truly exist without the other? In our society we see on a daily basis the balance of love and hate and how they are very much the yin and yang of our emotional world. Roger Chillingworth for example has a love hate relationship with Hester Prynn, he still loves her for she was his wife, but on the other hand he resents her because of her not being faithful to him. The same thing applies to Hester and her relationship with Pearl. There is no doubt that Hester loves Pearl but there is a question of whether or not Pearl is the result of sin and what that may or may not entail. This also applies to my grade.
I have a love, hate relationship with the boys in my grade. Individually they are awesome but as a whole they are obnoxious. But it is my choice on whether or not I allow them to make me mad or laugh. We have a choice when it comes to our emotions, it is completely up to the individual on how they are going to react It is true that our humanistic instincts cause us to want to react in a specific way but whether or not you give in to that instinct is up to them. It is also true that as humans we tend to focus on the negatives rather than the positives because it is more acceptable to think that you look ugly then pretty in our society. On the other hand if you are walking down the hallway and you see someone glare at you most likely you would turn away. But if you walk down the hallway and someone smiles at you, you begin to smile to and so on and so forth.

1 comment:

  1. Athena,

    Because we talked about this in class on Friday, I'll keep my comments brief. I think that you're on to something here with your 'yin yang' notion that everything requires its opposite--for contrast (or else, how can we appreciate it for what it is?).

    I look forward to reading your initial draft!

    ReplyDelete