Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Amazing speech, wrong time

Emerson's Ideas are so radical, but at the same time I am pretty much addicted to what he has to say. Christianity has been so backwards for me and I have never understood it, But Emerson just straight up says what needs to be said. Every thing that he had to say in "The Divinity School Address," was so spot on, although I will admit that the graduating class at the Harvard Divinity school probably was not the best audience. Those Harvard students were not ready to hear that speech for two reasons. 1. I do not think that Emerson was quite famous enough yet for the students to give him a chance. They probably just shut him out right when he started to tell them how they have been in divinity school for four years and were taught nothing important. 2. I do not think that the graduates quite understood every thing he was saying. Im sure that most of the ideas that Emerson said were very blatant, but there was a deeper meaning to most of them. like when he is talking about how you do not need some one else to go to to reach god (like a preacher) but rather every person can find god within himself. Over all I wish that I could send a high five in a time machine to him. It must have taken extreme guts and smarts to walk into a crowd like that and tell them exactly what they do not want to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Neve,

    A fun post (I enjoyed reading this one--thanks!). You've presented perhaps the most persuasive argument yet that this was, indeed, the "wrong" audience for this address (something about which I've been disagreeing with others--c.f. my comments on other posts--but which now, thanks to you, I may have to reconsider!).

    Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete