Friday, September 25, 2009

Ideas... Ideas...

So it took me a while to decide what to write about and I'm still keeping an open mind, however, I think the topic for my essay is going to be modern day lifestyles. I'm going to discuss how everything we do and wear and believe in is shaped and based off of something else. Nothing is original anymore since it has most likely already been done. As children, we learn from our parents, teachers, peers, and elders who have learned from the people before them and so on and so forth. With this trickle down of information and traditions, there are only discreet and small changes to the way we do things. I am going to bring Thoreau, Emerson and Whitman all back to life just as E.B. White did and get their opinions and thoughts on being original, and how that does not seem to exist anymore. I am going to criticise the world as we know it through their eyes. With three strongly opinionated authors I feel that this essay will turn out alright.

2 comments:

  1. The state of or society and our culture are in a "slump" as far as I am concerned. You are right when you say that nothing is original anymore, especially in our popular culture. The only original material is usually just stuff that is worse than any predecessor could have achieved, yet people love it. We are a culture of "slight variation" and hopefully, within our lifetime, culture and music can become the relevant, original, powerful, and influential mediums they once were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really think that all we learn is from conformity? Is there anything within each individual that is just natural? How are these started in the first place? I agree with you, saying that nothing is original but at the same time are the new ideas and concepts that people come up with not original? If not original, then what... extentions from past ideas?

    ReplyDelete