Sunday, September 20, 2009

Transcendentalists

I find it hard to pick a favorite writer from the few we have studied for a few different reasons. First, the fact that all of their works and ideas are so similar, Emerson is a little harder to understand but I like the way he thinks and questions things for himself, this fact alone may sway me towards him in deciding my favorite. His views on religion and Jesus actually seem legit, and I am far from religious myself. Second, while their writings are so similar they differ slightly as well, I may like Emerson's thought processes the best but Thoreau's views on how to live life mimic mine on some levels. I don't see myself as lazy or unmotivated but at points I guess I can be, but like Thoreau I don't believe in materialism and though it may be fun to have a high speed life I can definitely find beauty in the simple things. And as for Whitman, I think he is a little intense but I still think the things he writes about are interesting. I like them all.

2 comments:

  1. Religion, Materialism...

    You zero in on some important ideas here, Will--one's that you may well wish to pursue further in the essay we'll begin working on this week in class. I'm glad that you've enjoyed each of these writers, but the key, I think, will be your ability to take one or more of their ideas and test their relevancy in your own life. (This effort ought to provide the centerpiece of your essay).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post Will, you seem to be talking about conformity and how each of these authors has something in common in one way or another, whether it is their writing styles or even the way they influence you. I would take your thought process a little further and figure out which one would be conforming to which.

    ReplyDelete