Sunday, September 20, 2009

Three Great Minds

The more I look into the writings of Emerson, Whitman and Thoreau, I begin to see all the sides that they present. When I first read any of their works I get the main idea but not entire picture they want me to see. Once we go over it in class I have a much greater understanding toward their views on life. So far, I think Emerson is my favorite writer of the three. This is not because he may be the name that I hear most often, but because I understand where he is coming from and I think his ideas are actually plausible. With Thoreau and Whitman their thoughts seem like more of a reach and not as easily changeable. At the time when Emerson presented some of his ideas, many people said that they were way to far-fetched too but now that we look back on them, his seem the closest. Also, his thoughts about how an individual should live their life are quite intriguing. He says that the only one that you should put your whole faith in and rely on is yourself. This concept makes a lot of sense to me because you are the one who guides your life an YOU are the one who can decide the outcome of your life. You have the control. Lastly, Emerson shows his thoughts in a way that can be understood fairly easily and you do not have to dig too deep to discover his meaning. On the other hand, he does hide some bigger meanings within the smaller ones but they are easily pieced together. As for Whitman, his works are not exactly "hidden" or confusing but some of the text just makes you wonder what the true point he wants you to get from it is. With Thoreau, I'd have to say he is my least favorite of these men. In my standpoint, his views are very difficult to understand and when you read his work, it seems as if he is just rambling on and on and never reaching a final conclusion or point.

1 comment:

  1. Mia,

    What a thoughtful post (thanks!). And, of course, I'm glad to hear that our discussion of each of these authors is increasing your understanding of their respective ideas. You seem most taken by Emerson, and so you may well want to make him the focus of your first 'formal' essay assignment (it's posted already, but we'll be discussing it in class tomorrow). The first thing to do is to go back through your copies of his work and take note of what you've highlighted--and why. Some of these passages may provide the 'trigger' for your essay.

    ReplyDelete