Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wally

I believe that Walt Whitman, of the three transcendentalists we read, has impacted me the most. His poetry might be a little hard to understand and he might be a little off, but I think I can relate to him the most. Emerson is the originator of most of Walt's content, but Walt presents it in a way different; more secular and relevant to me. Emerson is mostly concerned with changing the church and its practices; and he is very focused on Jesus, who is not that important to me. Whitman uses Emerson's belief about the individual, but presents them in a less religious fashion. And for a non-religious person like me, it works.
Thoreau would be my person of choice, but there are a few things I don't agree with. I might not agree with some of the stuff Whitman says, but the difference is I don't understand it. Thoreau is a brilliant writer. He can weave descriptions of his surroundings into a transcendentalist testament. I really enjoy and appreciate that, but then he will take a turn and ramble onto something irrelevant and distracting. Thoreau is a little bit of a snob too. He seems very self-important and self-righteous.
Whitman is my man. He the correct balance of: religion & transcendentalism, nature & society, and movement & art. Whitman is not trying to change anyones mind, he is simply trying to get people to think, and buys his poetry. He takes the movement from critical essays and self-important ramblings to a pure form of art, which is just as powerful as any of the other writers. His descriptions and metaphors are something special. I don't understand all of it, but of what I do, I relate to and enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. "More secular and relevant"

    I like the way you put that, Victor. And it raises an interesting issue that you might wish to pursue in the essay we'll be working on this week: to what extent must the ideas forwarded by these 'Transcendentalists' be circumscribed by religion? Indeed, what relevance does religion have in our contemporary society? And additionally, how much more powerful are metaphors than arguments...and why? Again, you raise some engaging observations here--and I hope that you can explore one or more of them further in your essay!

    ReplyDelete