Thursday, September 24, 2009

“I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear, not did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite unnecessary…For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to “glorify God and enjoy him forever.” -- Henry David Thoreau

Only twice a year I go to church. Each time I ask myself the same question; “why am I here?” Every time I hear the church bells ring my stomach cringes because I know in just moments a man who refers to himself as close to God will preach and praise the Lord for all that he’s worth in our lives. To me that’s not much. This isn’t to say I dare to create uncouth opinions about these people who find solace in prayer and the Lord, but more to criticize the dependence on something we don’t even know exists. Thoreau “wished to live deliberately” and not miss anything, so he escaped to the woods. Even though this getaway exists solely in his imagination, his belief that he can find true life here is similar to that of finding a valid life within the unrealistic reality of Church. This dependence on God, on Christ won’t get you anywhere. Although, neither will the idea of solitude. Escaping by living through the eyes of another or running away to find that “living is dear” is in no way really living. The fears of conformity may scare people into these impractical faiths, but little do they realize that facing conformity is the only way to escape it. To see what’s wrong with society today gives each one of us the chance to make better decisions and become ourselves.


As I began to write this essay my ideas changed and shifted but I think the point I will attempt to continue to make that conforming to a religion or personal solitude in the long run wont really help you find yourself. In order to find who you truly are and what you have interest in you first must not only experience other things but notice how other people (society) goes about their lives. Just because you choose to observe this conformity doesnt mean you have to become a part of it. eventually each person becomes their own and this is only truly found by immersing yourself in whatever possible and not finding a dependence on religion or something else. Obviously, my ideas arent totally developed, but usually my writing gets stronger as it progresses.

6 comments:

  1. I have to say Kenya, the fact that the tone and idea DID change is what makes this so interesting! You started off with a great image of the church following that quote from Thoreau. I think if you were to just keep going and let the idea go where it wants (as it obviously is developing into something quite different than it initally appears). I also think that involving Emerson in this idea of conformity might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can easily see how your ideas progresses as you were writing this blog and thinking about what to write next. This is the exact same thing that happened to me, the more I wrote about, the more ideas I had to write more. I think that you are definitely on the right track with your ideas on conforming to a religion. No one should go to church just because some preacher say's he has a closer relationship to god than you do, any one should be able to reach divinity by themselves and most importantly in there own way. Your ideas are progressing quite nicely and I am excited to see your essay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. Challenges of society and conformity must be met head on, and are not to be ran from. Sublime solitude I think is necessary for us all at one or more points in our lives. But to flee from all the challenges and hardships of the worlds is not how we solve them. The true enlightened ones not only have become pure themselves and in their minds, but strive every day to do so for others that may not be as fortunate to have found their way. This help is not in a preaching, church-going way, but in the compassionate, lend a helping hand to your fellow man kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "..eventually each person becomes their own and this is only truly found by immersing yourself in whatever possible and not finding a dependence on religion or something else..." I really enjoyed your post, it shed an interesting light. However, at what point would you argue a person becomes themselves? Do we truely ever know who we are? I like the idea of having to immerse ourselves in anything and everything possible and not being dependent on something else, I think this is the beginning of finding ones true self yet at what point is this mission achieved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kenya,
    You’re so smart. I really enjoyed the beginning of your essay, it was really in-depth. I think however that you need to challenge yourself a little more and not only take on the point of view that you hold but also that of a spiritual person. I think that religion is needed in the world merely for some people to believe in something. Is it out of fear that people run to religion? Is it out of guilt that someone goes and repents? And where does spirituality leave off and belief begin? Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Athena,
    I dont really know if im supposed to be replying to this but I am. I think that your spiritual belief is true. I, myself am a fan on believing in what one might call a higher power BUT this all comes from within myself. I believe that these somethings to believe in CAN come from ourselves if we are willing challenge ourselves. This will set us apart from conformity and such, believing truly in what we have to offer.

    ReplyDelete