Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Divinity School Adress

I really enjoyed this. I felt like Emerson really deeply thought about things that Christianity, as an organized religion, generally discourages. For instance, he praised the Eastern religions, even though this speech was made in front of a bunch of students who are studying and going to teach Christianity. He also critisized the Bible, calling it secondary to a personal, first hand experience with God, to a bunch of people who have been taught the majority of their lives that the Bible is the way, and they are going on to further this belief through their work. He even goes so far as to belittle Jesus by saying "[he] belong to the true race of prophets." I can definitely understand how the people in the audience would've been offended. I think it's safe to say that the group of people he was speaking to probably weren't the most progressive, forward thinkers; they were probably pretty old school, traditionalist, I assume. So, for them to hear all of these crazy ideas about their religion being said probably shook them pretty violently. I really love how Emerson, while still embracing Christianity, brings it forward. He makes it seems less like an old story that you've heard, and more of a personal, modern thing. Although I don't necessarily agree with all of his ideas, I love the fact that he's willing to explore his faith, and that he's not satisfied with just believing and regurgitating what some preacher at a pulpit says.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Meghan! I really enjoyed this one--both for the force of its writing, and for your willingness to provide your reader with specific textual references which help make your own meaning more clear (this is a strategy you'd do well to keep employing in future posts). And, of course, I'm glad you enjoyed the address (and I think even Emerson himself would admire the way you withhold your full endorsement of it!).

    ReplyDelete