Friday, September 11, 2009

Divinity School

Old language is always a ton of fun to read, but because it's full of allusions, and seemingly round-about language, it makes it harder, by far, to understand. The ideas behind the words, however, are teeming with truth. Main points are difficult for me to exactly pinpoint, and it's a lot easier to talk about specific parts or sentences. I strongly agree with Emerson when he says that you can't just trust what other people say, no matter who they are, you must find that what they say is true for you, or you must "wholly reject it." During the very first paragraph on page 108, where Emerson talks about how the titles that we have given Christ "kills all generous sympathy and liking." He's got a point. It's hard to feel like your with a friend, if you have to call them by their titles. Emerson touches upon something else a couple of pages later, where he wonders why people go to church anymore. He says that "it seemed strange that the people should come to church," he called preaching "thoughtless clamor." My only experience of being in a church for sermons was when I was little, so everything the pastor said was boring; until, of course, he said that us kids could go downstairs for Sunday school (chuckle at my silly din antics). So even though the fact that I was a kid may have changed my perception a wee bit, sermons were just "thoughtless clamor" to me as well, though I know, not for the same reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Emily. I think you're right to zero in on the sentence level in your search for understanding, and I really admire the way in which you reproduce individual phrases and then run with them. This is a strategy that will serve you well in posts to come!

    ReplyDelete