Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nature: The Original Title

Growing up in Vermont, it's hard not to notice nature. From the lush, green, and humid summers, to the kaleidoscope of colors in the fall, to the nearly-barren landscape of winter, even tourists take notice of Vermont's natural beauty, and flock to all the popular hot-spots. But the most important place in nature for me has nothing to do with making money, or attracting rude individuals from far and wide. My dad's house is situated in the forest, along with my grandma's house, where I spent a lot of my time. The forest in general is a very special place to me. It's the place I can go when I'm upset or feeling low, and the trees don't try to cheer me up, or give me advice on what I should do next. They just let me work through my feelings, and allow me to decide what my next step should be on my own. The forest doesn't judge, or bicker, or tell me to 'be careful and stop making me worry!' (That was my grandma.) It does, however, block out all noise from nearby houses or roads. It makes me feel like I've left all of my troubles behind, that way I can look at them from a distance and see things that I wouldn't have before. Nature is the place where I can be completely myself, without fear of criticism, or teasing. Nature is my safe house.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post, Emily! I really enjoyed your description of your father's house (and the metaphorical connection you easily make between it and Nature, your "safe house"--one that does not "judge or bicker"!. Thanks! I'm looking to more posts of this quality!

    ReplyDelete