Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good Old Mother Nature

For my transcendentalists essay I am going to be exploring throughout the mountains on my snowboard and at the same time I will be comparing my experience to what Walt Whitman has described about the power of nature. I will point out specific ideas about have nature is shaping my life and then I will talk about how my time in the mountains is similar and different than what Whitman describes in song of my self. When I am venturing through the mountains I will also bring up Whitman's idea about how people are not contained between their hat and boots. Then I will take Whitman's idea and apply it to my own life. Overall I am going to write about my adventure in nature and compare it to Whitman's ideas. 

5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of framing your essay in the mountains. That will provide a good and steady basis from which to explore your ideas and to go off on insightful tangents. My essay is going to be kind of similar, so great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what you ought to add to this is maybe waiting in some lift-lines and looking at some people's get-up and looking at the conformity that goi=es on on the mountain and then maybe talk about how some people conform to a certain lift and how emerson would much rather be earning his turns or in the backcountry while he shreds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should be an interesting essay Jerry. The first part of the first passage will help you a lot in here, also the quote, "I am mad for it to be in contact with me." I think this one will help you, especially if you're describing your experience snowboarding. good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. word! you should also talk about the conformity of the modern snowboarding scene with people who will switch styles every year depending on what is in and hot!!@!

    also you can talk about how riding in the boundary of the mountain is being contained and how the untouched BC is pure nature

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry, I think that got a little bit too caught up on the prompt on this one. It seems that you kind of took all the ideas from the prompt and applied them to your self. Now don't get me wrong because that is what you are supposed to do, but maybe you could expand a little further than that. In other words, try not to take all ideas of Whitman and apply them to yourself, but rather get ideas from your life and apply them to how Whitman would look at things. Good start buddy

    ReplyDelete