Monday, September 21, 2009

Emerson & friends

Out of the three transcendentalists we covered (Emerson, Whitman, Thoreau) I find myself a fan of Whitman the most. I really didn't enjoy Emerson at all, his ideas were extremely spiritual, which I personally find to be absolute crap. Thoreau was good, but he seemed very distant. Whitman on the other hand was A) not particularly religious in his writings and B) his writing style was much more interesting and engaging. Whitman seemed like someone that I would enjoy being around. He was a little eccentric, and I thought it was great. He also kept everything fairly grounded. So i found Whitman to be not only the most enjoyable read, but to have presented the best ideas in the best manner.

(P.S. Sorry I'm posting this late Lavender my internet was down all weekend)

1 comment:

  1. Lobo,

    No worries about the tardiness of the post (I won't ding this for being late); however, this seems briefer than it should be. I get the idea that you prefer Whitman--but I'm not really sure I understand why. What is it about Emerson's spirituality that puts you off? What is it about Thoreau's work that you find "distant"? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete