Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thoreau's Walden

This is my favorite essay we have read so far this year. I liked how Thoreau described the farm house. He made me want to move there. I also liked his outlook on life. "We are determined to be starved before we are hungry." I liked this quote because it showed how we should slow down and enjoy life. We shouldn't waste it worrying about our problems. We should live life to the fullest. I also agree that news is just a bunch of gossip, and once you have read about " one man robbed or murdered" that is enough. There is no need to read about more. This is why Thoreau thinks that there isn't any memorable news in the newspaper. Also todays papers are just as filled with sad stories and gossip of the rich and famous as the news in Thoreau's time. They might even got worse over time. How is this news suppose to help keep us updated with the important events that are occurring in the world, if all it is, in fact, is "gossip."

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post, Justin (thanks!), and I'm pleased that you, in turn, seem to be enjoying Thoreau. I sense in your passing reference to Thoreau's critique of "the news" a potential topic for the essay we'll begin working on next week. Why not (if you're interested) run with that idea that, in terms of the news, "things might have got worse over time"? This could make for a fun (and relevant) essay!

    ReplyDelete