Monday, September 21, 2009

Whitman is #1

Out of all three transcendentalists that we have read, each individual has a couple of good thoughts, but no one compares to Whitman. Walt Whitman may have had some ideas come from Emerson, therefore I also enjoy Emerson's pieces of work. Whitman pieces take bits and pieces about Emerson's philosophy about nature and then he takes it to the next level. Whitman Starts out Song of Myself by saying " I celebrate myself, and what I assume you shall assume..." Whitman creates an idea saying that he enjoys life and that he assumes everyone else enjoys life as much as he does. Throughout Whitman's writing he paints a magnificent in my mind and even though it can be hard to understand sometimes, the image he creates is unique. Whitman creates such vivid images that you just want more and more and that is what I like about Whitman.

1 comment:

  1. Jerry,

    Thanks for getting this post in. I like your observation that Whitman takes Emerson's ideas "to the next level" (but I'm not entirely sure yet just what you mean by this). Perhaps you want to make Whitman central to the essay you'll begin work on shortly, and you can explore further this idea of him being (relative to his mentor) 'over the top'.

    ReplyDelete