Thursday, September 3, 2009

Where does nature begin and does it end?

Where does nature begin and does it come to an end? Nature in my eyes begins where everything else does. At the point of creation. But deciphering when it and or if it ends is a whole other story. Some may say that nature ends when death overcomes certain area, however this is just another beginning. Take for example the salmon who beat themselves bloody swimming up stream to their original nesting grounds. Along the way they provide grizzly bears with the amount of food needed to survive hibernation. Some swim thousands of miles just to procreate and die after they are done. But after they die, they not only provide food for the grizzly bears but they also release precious nutrients into the soil when they decompose. So in answer to my question, in my opinion nature has no end just new beginnings.

2 comments:

  1. That's a creative way to look at the scenario of death. I really like the way Rumi puts it, it reminds me of your idea:
    "I died as a mineral and became a plant,
    I died as plant and rose to animal,
    I died as animal and I was Man.
    Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
    Yet once more I shall die as Man, to soar
    With angels bless'd; but even from angelhood
    I must pass on: all except God doth perish.
    When I have sacrificed my angel-soul,
    I shall become what no mind e'er conceived.
    Oh, let me not exist! for Non-existence
    Proclaims in organ tones,
    To Him we shall return."

    Nature is always proclaiming, and proving "we shall return."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Athena,

    Nice post (and I'm glad it prompted Meghan to include those lines from Rumi), but I think you've limited yourself here (this may be too short for your own purposes). I love where you wind up--that nature has no ends, just new beginnings--but this seems a staging point for the real exploration of your questions regarding Nature and our relation to it. Write more! you've made me curious (good!), but left me frustrated that I haven't understood your meaning better.

    ReplyDelete