Sunday, September 20, 2009

Author of choice

My author of choice would have to be Emerson. His writing is extremely direct and concise. He gets his main point out loud and clear without digressing from the main idea. I love his courage to express his own opinion without caring what others think. Especially in the Divinity School Address, when he explicitly abases harvard, after being asked to speak there, which to most would be considered a great honor. I know that he took this as a chance to promulgate his voice, but it was extremely radical and innovative for the coeval era. Even though this was decades ago, his ideas are still prevalent and issues that we are addressing currently; teach through experience, being the most important to me. I know that I can relate to Emerson despite the fact we live decades apart and he is very straight forward. For me, his ability to want to correct religion, not abolish it, was commendable. He could of easily just deprecated Christianity as a whole, but he clearly establishes the errors. His writing can be a slightly undecipherable at times, but if you re-read and remind yourself of the theme present, it can be understood and praised. I attribute to him the inception, at least voicing, of instilling the disadvantages of imitation in us. We are often taught to look up to your elders, and as they do (school for example, divinity school), but Emerson reminds us to be ourself otherwise we cannot rise above and be all that we can be. Between his audacity, integrity, and ideas, Emerson is by far my favorite of the three transcendentalists authors we have read.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Mackenzie! I love how you zero in on those ideas (courage in one's convictions, the need to 'correct' religion, the need to teach from experience, etc.) and begin to test their relevancy in your own, contemporary life. This is just the sort of thing that I hope you'll choose to do in the essay we'll begin working on this week!

    ReplyDelete