Sunday, September 20, 2009

I would like to add to my previous post and throw in some thoughts about Whitman. Reading his Song of Myself poem, it is apparent that the same ideals are important to him as well. The title of the poem suggests the importance of the self and that Whitman, indeed, "celebrates [himself]." As I previously mentioned about each of us seemingly coming from nature, Whitman enforces. His belief that "My tounge, every atom of my blood, formed from this soil, this air", suggests that each of us indeed part of nature to turly find ourselves we must "lean and loaf" to simply "[observe] a spear of summer grass." Something that simple can connect us with everyhing, with each other, allowing us to truly understand ourself.
My liking has turned toward each of these authors because I agree with everything they say. Though not terribly fond of each writing style, the messages displayed are meaning to my beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Good--so take these "messages" and, in a sense, make them your own in your essay!

    ReplyDelete