Wednesday, September 2, 2009

free my mind

Nature is so different and so much more powerful than any thing else on this world. When I immerse myself into the woods all of my problems fade away. All of the sudden you are gripped by an entirely different world. Life becomes so simple, yet at the same time living in the wilderness is a complex and hard thing to do. Life is simple in the woods because it brings you back to time zero. When there were no cities, no schools, no media, there are only the animals that you can eat, and the animals that can eat you. This is where the complexity of the wilderness comes in, survival. Although you do not have to worry about turning in an essay the next day, you do have to worry about surviving. I see the woods as a place to free your mind. Whenever I have a ton of problems in my life I find that the woods is the only place where my mind can be freed.

3 comments:

  1. It's weird how such a simple feeling an be created by such a complex environment. I like your point of how complexity can come from every situation but that there are different situations that create different conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do I agree with what you are saying about the freedom that nature seems to offer, I also agree with that fact that the complexity of nature can offer this. Every day we experience complexity in our life and this new sense of complexity might even relax out mind in some way because as you said, it's not a complexity where we worry about turing in an essay. We can observe if we choose, but let the complexity of nature just take us to where we want to go, trusting that it will all be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Neve; and I agree with the comments above: the most interesting thing here is your assertion that Nature, for all its simplicity, entails a different kind of "complexity" than does society (survival, it seems, may even be harder in the former than in the latter). But this, in turn, seems to take a 'red in tooth and claw' approach to Nature, on that would seem to be at odds with the simplicity that some (including, perhaps, Emerson) see in Nature. I also like the idea of regression, a return to "time zero." If you were to WRITE MORE I feel i would be able to grasp your meaning more clearly. As it is, you've provoked my curiosity, but left it somewhat frustrated.

    ReplyDelete